Dr. Orozco is a board certified hip and knee surgeon and serves as Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. He specializes in Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement and uses special techniques such as Computer Navigation for Total Knee Replacement. Dr. Orozco lectures around the globe and participates in numerous international meetings.
Make an Appointment
EducationM.D., Colombia School Of Medicine
Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Fellowship, Adult Reconstruction, Rothman Institute
Titles & CertificationsAssistant Professor Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Professional AssociationsAmerican Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Hospital AffiliationsAtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Camilo Restrepo, MD, Fabio Orozco, MD, and Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS*, Online Case Report Image Quiz, PVNS of the Hip, JBJS 2007
- Orozco F, Ong A, Rothman RH. The role of minimally invasive hip surgery in reducing pain.Instr Course Lect. 2007; 56;121-4 Review.
- Parvizi J, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Orozco F, Bissett GA, Rothman RH. Prospective matched-pair analysis of hydroxyapatite-coated and uncoated femoral stems in total hip arthroplasty. A concise follow-up of a previous report. J. Bone Joint Surg (A). 86-A(4): 783-786, 2004.
- Keisu KS, Orozco F, McCallum JD III, Bisset G, Hozack WJ, Sharkey PF, Rothman RH. Cementless femoral fixation in rheumatoid patient undergoing total hip arthroplasty: minimum 5 years results. J Arthroplasty. 2001 Jun; 16(4) 415-21.
- Keisu KS, Orozco F, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH, McGuigan FX. Primary cementless total hip arthroplasty in octogenarians. Two to eleven year follow-up J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001 Mar; 83-A(3):359-63.
- Orozco F, Hozack WJ. Late dislocations after cementless total hip arthroplasty resulting from polyethylene wear. J Arthroplasty. 2000 Dec; 15(8): 1059-63.
- Simultaneous vs. Staged Bilateral Total Hip Arthroplasty, March 2000
- Total Hip Arthroplasty CME Disclosures, William J. Hozack, M.D., Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- Deep Venous Thrombosis: Meta Analysis, March 2000
- Thrombosis: Meta Analysis CME Disclosures William J. Hozack, M.D., Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- November 2007, “Advances in Surgical Technology” Meeting, Hilton New York Hotel, NYC, NY.
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Arthroplasty and Navigation in Hip Surgery, January 2003
- Introduction at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons MeetingWilliam J. Hozack, M.D., Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- “Why are Knee Replacements Failing Today?”, December 2001 Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- Problem-Solving for Acetabular Revision Surgery, Conference Coverage, February 2001
- References Cooke CC, Lavernia CJ, Hozack WJ, Phillipon M, Catanzaro RJ, Orozco F
- Sub-Investigator: FOCUS: Transfusion trigger trial for functional outcomes in cardiovascular patients undergoing surgical hip fracture repair, Clinical coordinating center – UMDNJ funded by the National institutes of Health 2006.
- Sub-Investigator, Pfizer Inc. Protocol A0081133 – A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled study of the efficacy and safety of pregabalin in the treatment of subjects with post-operative pain following total knee arthroplasty (TKA). August 2007 to present.
- Principal Investigator, Pfizer Inc. Protocol A3191331 – Gastrointestinal randomized event and safety open-label nsaid study (GI-REASONS): A randomized, open-label, blinded-endpoint, parallel-group trial of GI safety of celecoxib compared with non-selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) in osteoarthritis patients. August 2007 to present.
- Principal Investigator, unfunded, IRB approved – “Surgeon’s Decision change during total hip arthroplasty procedure based on intra-operative radiograph evaluation”. January 2008 to present.
- 11/06 – Present
- Peer-Reviewer for Journal of Arthroplasty
- 11/06 – Present
- Peer-Reviewer for Journal of Arthroplasty
- Wednesday, 24 April 2013A local physician has found a unique use for his iPod during surgery.
Dr. Fabio Orozco, a joint replacement Surgeon at the Rothman Institute, uses his iPod during replacement surgery. He had used traditional computers to help guide him during surgery but finds DASH â€“ the app-based system, has several advantages.
- Monday, 28 January 2013Rothman Institute is using an iPod to help accuracy when performing total knee replacement surgery. NBC10's Vince Lattanzio went into the OR to see it in action.
- Wednesday, 01 August 2012Area orthopedic surgeons and the Bacharach Institute have together pioneered a new form of rehabilitation, one that is likely to transform the recovery process for the growing number of Americans who have knees or hips replaced.
Called â€śday rehabâ€ť and conducted at a handful of centers in the region, the therapy restores patient mobility more quickly, doctors say, while cutting the cost of rehabilitation after joint replacement by half or more.
- Friday, 22 August 2014If you are suffering from severe pain in your hip joints, this may be a result of one or more possible conditions: osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease, rheumatoid arthritis, osteonecrosis, tumors, fractures, or various other injuries. Many of these problems develop as an inevitable part of the aging process, while others result from accidents, sports injuries, dietary deficiencies, and numerous other disorders. All of these issues can be debilitating for a person at any age or stage of life, and no matter what precautions might be taken to avoid joint deterioration or damage, sometimes surgery is an inevitable solution.
- Monday, 04 August 2014Every day, hundreds of people across the United States undergo a total hip replacement surgery. If you have consulted with your physician and determined that you are a candidate for this operation, you are certainly not alone; however, knowing that this is a common procedure hardly prepares you for the surgery, the recovery, and the healthy lifestyle you should lead in order to make your hip replacement last you for many years to come. At Rothman Institute, our doctors have extensive knowledge and experience in total hip replacement surgery, and we believe that sharing our knowledge with you, our patients, is an essential part of guaranteeing the effectiveness of the operation.