Dr. Orozco is a board certified hip and knee surgeon and serves as Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. He specializes in Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement and uses special techniques such as Computer Navigation for Total Knee Replacement. Dr. Orozco lectures around the globe and participates in numerous international meetings.
Make an Appointment
EducationM.D., Colombia School Of Medicine
Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Fellowship, Adult Reconstruction, Rothman Institute
Titles & CertificationsAssistant Professor Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Professional AssociationsAmerican Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Hospital AffiliationsAtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Camilo Restrepo, MD, Fabio Orozco, MD, and Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS*, Online Case Report Image Quiz, PVNS of the Hip, JBJS 2007
- Orozco F, Ong A, Rothman RH. The role of minimally invasive hip surgery in reducing pain.Instr Course Lect. 2007; 56;121-4 Review.
- Parvizi J, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Orozco F, Bissett GA, Rothman RH. Prospective matched-pair analysis of hydroxyapatite-coated and uncoated femoral stems in total hip arthroplasty. A concise follow-up of a previous report. J. Bone Joint Surg (A). 86-A(4): 783-786, 2004.
- Keisu KS, Orozco F, McCallum JD III, Bisset G, Hozack WJ, Sharkey PF, Rothman RH. Cementless femoral fixation in rheumatoid patient undergoing total hip arthroplasty: minimum 5 years results. J Arthroplasty. 2001 Jun; 16(4) 415-21.
- Keisu KS, Orozco F, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH, McGuigan FX. Primary cementless total hip arthroplasty in octogenarians. Two to eleven year follow-up J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001 Mar; 83-A(3):359-63.
- Orozco F, Hozack WJ. Late dislocations after cementless total hip arthroplasty resulting from polyethylene wear. J Arthroplasty. 2000 Dec; 15(8): 1059-63.
- Simultaneous vs. Staged Bilateral Total Hip Arthroplasty, March 2000
- Total Hip Arthroplasty CME Disclosures, William J. Hozack, M.D., Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- Deep Venous Thrombosis: Meta Analysis, March 2000
- Thrombosis: Meta Analysis CME Disclosures William J. Hozack, M.D., Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- November 2007, “Advances in Surgical Technology” Meeting, Hilton New York Hotel, NYC, NY.
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Arthroplasty and Navigation in Hip Surgery, January 2003
- Introduction at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons MeetingWilliam J. Hozack, M.D., Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- “Why are Knee Replacements Failing Today?”, December 2001 Fabio Orozco, M.D.
- Problem-Solving for Acetabular Revision Surgery, Conference Coverage, February 2001
- References Cooke CC, Lavernia CJ, Hozack WJ, Phillipon M, Catanzaro RJ, Orozco F
- Sub-Investigator: FOCUS: Transfusion trigger trial for functional outcomes in cardiovascular patients undergoing surgical hip fracture repair, Clinical coordinating center – UMDNJ funded by the National institutes of Health 2006.
- Sub-Investigator, Pfizer Inc. Protocol A0081133 – A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled study of the efficacy and safety of pregabalin in the treatment of subjects with post-operative pain following total knee arthroplasty (TKA). August 2007 to present.
- Principal Investigator, Pfizer Inc. Protocol A3191331 – Gastrointestinal randomized event and safety open-label nsaid study (GI-REASONS): A randomized, open-label, blinded-endpoint, parallel-group trial of GI safety of celecoxib compared with non-selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) in osteoarthritis patients. August 2007 to present.
- Principal Investigator, unfunded, IRB approved – “Surgeon’s Decision change during total hip arthroplasty procedure based on intra-operative radiograph evaluation”. January 2008 to present.
- 11/06 – Present
- Peer-Reviewer for Journal of Arthroplasty
- 11/06 – Present
- Peer-Reviewer for Journal of Arthroplasty
- Wednesday, 24 April 2013A local physician has found a unique use for his iPod during surgery.
Dr. Fabio Orozco, a joint replacement Surgeon at the Rothman Institute, uses his iPod during replacement surgery. He had used traditional computers to help guide him during surgery but finds DASH – the app-based system, has several advantages.
- Monday, 28 January 2013Rothman Institute is using an iPod to help accuracy when performing total knee replacement surgery. NBC10's Vince Lattanzio went into the OR to see it in action.
- Wednesday, 01 August 2012Area orthopedic surgeons and the Bacharach Institute have together pioneered a new form of rehabilitation, one that is likely to transform the recovery process for the growing number of Americans who have knees or hips replaced.
Called “day rehab” and conducted at a handful of centers in the region, the therapy restores patient mobility more quickly, doctors say, while cutting the cost of rehabilitation after joint replacement by half or more.
- Friday, 26 September 2014If you’re suffering from severe knee pain due to arthritis or repeated injuries, it may be time to consider the benefits of total knee replacement surgery. Call the world-renowned specialists at Rothman Institute to find out how we can provide a long term solution for your knee issue through our incredibly successful and effective total joint replacement procedure for knees. We are one of America’s top joint replacement programs with over 5,000 such procedures performed annually!
- Monday, 22 September 2014If you had never suffered from pain in your hip, you’d have probably gone your entire life without ever thinking much of that joint at all. You probably wouldn’t have known that the hip is a truly essential support mechanism for the rest of your body. In fact, it is the second-largest weight bearing bone and it facilitates your daily movements. That’s why when hip pain and stiffness do set in; the issue becomes obvious right away.
- Wednesday, 03 September 2014Hip pain is a common complaint among active, elderly or injured patients who are dealing with damaged cartilage or fractured bones. Dozens of potential treatment options exist, including many non-surgical approaches and for many people, those options will solve the issue in time. While not everyone who experiences hip pain will require hip replacement, it is certainly the best option in some cases. You may be wondering if you are one of those cases. If you’ve been wondering, “do I need total hip replacement?” then this article can serve as a guide to help you identify whether you may be a good candidate for this surgical procedure.
- Wednesday, 17 September 2014Have you recently experience a knee injury, or are you starting to feel as if the range of motion in your knees is on the decline? If you have arthritis or any sort of damage to your cartilage, this can increasingly become a seriously painful and debilitating condition. Sports injuries, diseases, deficiencies, and normal aging processes tend to make it more difficult, if not impossible, for the average person to run, walk, climb, lift heavy objects, and do all of the things that we all enjoy doing throughout our lives. Fortunately, when the pain or limited flexibility of our legs starts to interfere with our usual routines, many of us have the opportunity to relieve our pain and restore our mobility through total knee replacement surgery.