Mitchell K. Freedman, D.O.
Dr. Freedman is a board certified specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation at the Rothman Institute. He is also a Clinical Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine at Jefferson Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University.
Make an Appointment
- Honorary B.A., Central High School
- B.A., La Salle University
- M.D., Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Internship, Delaware Valley Medical Center
- Residency, Rehabilitation Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Fellowship, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Non-surgical/Procedural Management of Spinal Disorders, Florida Spine Institute
Titles & Certifications
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, Jefferson Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
- Medical Director of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rothman Institute
- Board Certified, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Osteopathic Association
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- North American Spine Society
- Academy of Pain Medicine
- International Society of Spinal Injection
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Editorial Positions
- Reviewer for Journal of Spine: 2006- ongoing
- Leader for NOW editorial board for Pain and Neuromuscular Medicine for AAPMR
- Lectures by invitation
- Peer- reviewed
- Rivas, D.A., Chancellor M.B., Hill, K., Freedman, M.K.: Neurological Manifestations of Baclofen Withdraw. Journal of Urology 150(6): 1903-5, 1993.
- Chancellor, M.B., Rivas, D.A., Panzer, D.E., Staas, W.E., Freedman, M.K.: Prospective Comparison of Topical Minoxdil to Vacuum Construction Device and Intracorporeal Papaverine Injection in Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction due to Spinal Cord Injury. Urology 43(3): 365-9, 1994.
- Kornbluth, I., Freedman, M.K., Sher, L., Frederick, R.: Femoral Saphenous Nerve Palsy after Tourniquet Use: A Case Report. Arch Physical Medicine Rehabilitation 84:909-11, 2003.
- Dholakia M, Kupfer M, Sher L, Dimuzio P, Freedman MK. Retroperitoneal false aneurysm presenting as anterior thigh pain and weakness, a case report. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 87(4); 583-84, 2006.
- Holding MY, Saulino MF, Overton EA, Kornbluth ID, Freedman MK. Update on Important Definitions in Pain Management. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89(3); S38-S40, 2008.
- Freedman MK, Overton EA, Saulino MF, Holding MY, Kornbluth ID. Diagnosis of Cervical and Thoracic Pain Syndromes. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 89(3); S41-46, 2008.
- Saulino MF, Kornbluth ID, Overton EA, Holding MY, Freedman MK. Evaluation and Management of Lumbar Pain Syndromes. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89(3); S47-50, 2008.
- Kornbluth ID, Freedman MK, Holding MY, Overton EA, Saulino MF. Monitoring Progress and Compliance in Chronic Pain Management. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89(3); S51-55, 2008.
- Freedman MK, Saulino MF, Overton EA, Holding MY, Kornbluth ID. Approaches to Medication and Lifestyle in Chronic Pain Syndromes. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89(3); S56-60, 2008.
- Overton EA, Kornbluth ID, Saulino MF, Holding MY, Freedman MK. Interventional Approaches in Chronic Pain Management. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89(3); S61-64, 2008.
- Zhang Y, AN HS, Tannoury C, Thonar EJ-MA, Freedman MK, Anderson DG. Biologic Treatment for Degenerative Disc Disease: Implications for the Field of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 87(9): 694-702, 2008.
- Freedman MK, Hilibrand AS, Blood EA, Zhao W, Albert TJ, Vaccaro AR, Oleson CV, Morgan TS, Weinstein JN. The Impact of Diabetes on the Outcomes of Surgical and Nonsurgical Treatment of Patients in the Spine Outcomes Research Trial. Spine, 36(4):290-308, 2011.
- Non Peer Reviewed
- Lichten DL, Freedman MK. Shoulder Evaluation in the Patient with Cervical Radiculopathy. Practical Neurology 7(1); 14-16, 2008.
- Gehret JA, Freedman MK, Sher L. Low Back vs. Hip Pain: How to Decide? Practical Neurology 7(5); 12-15, 2008.
- Pfeifer R, Broyer Z, Conliffe TD, Freedman M. Sciatic Neuropathy in a Patient after Acupuncture Treatment: A Case Report. AAPMR Annual Assembly 10/22-10/25/2009. PM&R 1(9):S143, 10/22-25/2009.
- Vasudevan J, Fetouf S, Freedman M. Perplexing leg pain and the value of musculoskeletal ultrasound. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 11/04/10 – 11/08/10.PM&R 2(9);S87, 2010.
- Staas WE, Formal CS, Freedman MK et al: Spinal Cord Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Medicine. In DeLisa JA (Ed): Rehabilitation Medicine, Principles and Practice, 3rd Ed., pp 1259-1292. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Lippincott – Raven, 1998.
- Freedman MK: Axial Low Back Pain: Nonoperative Approach. In Vaccaro AR, Albert TJ (Ed): Mastercases Spine Surgery pp 78-84, New York, NY Time, 2001
- Freedman MK, Brislin BT, Vaccaro AR, O’Neil C, Maurer PM, O’Brien E: Invasive Spinal Diagnostics. In Vaccaro AR, Betz RR, Zeidman SM(Ed): Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery, pp 97-114. Phila, Mosby Inc, 2003.
- Freedman MK, Fried G: Rehabilitation of the Spinal Cord Injury Patient. In Vaccaro AR, Betz RR, Zeidman SM(Ed): “Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery”, pp 495-506. Phila, Mosby Inc, 2003.
- Freedman MK, Vaccaro AR, Daffner SD, Fried G: Rehabilitation of the Patient with Tetraplegia and Paraplegia. In “The Adult and Pediatric Spine”, pp 619-632. Phila, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2004.
- Freedman MK, Broyer Z, Kornbluth I: Complications of Spinal Injections Therapy and Discography. In Vaccaro AR (ed): Complications of Pediatric and Adult Spinal Surgery, pp 573-592. New York, New York, Marcel Dekker, 2004.
- Ovsiowitz RS, Swamy P, Freedman MK, Fried GW, Vaccaro AR: Low Back Pain–Nonoperative Treatment Strategies in “Spine Core Knowledge in Orthopaedics”, pp 57-65 Phila, Mosby Inc. 2005.
- Freedman MK, Mayer TM, eds. Rehabilitation, In Vaccaro (Ed): Orthopaedic Knowledge Update pp 655-660. Rosemont, IL, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2005.
- Freedman, MK, Dholakia MD, Ivill DW, Hilibrand AS, Broyer, Z: Cervical Radiculopathy In Skirven TM, Osterman AL, Fedorczyk JM, Amadio PC(Ed):Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity, pp 713-723. Phila, Elsevier, 2011.
July 6, 2012
Dr. Freedman spoke to Arthritis today regarding calcium and Vitamin D supplements. Read more »
May 11, 2012
The FDA is cautioning women over the long-term use of drugs used to prevent and treat osteoporosis. Read more »