Dr. Good is Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Bryn Mawr Hospital and System Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery for Main Line Health. After graduating from Jefferson Medical College and completing his training at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in 1978, he has been providing orthopaedic care to the residents of Bryn Mawr and the surrounding area.
Dr. Good is a Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University. He is a multi-recipient of the Osler Teaching Award from the graduating medical students at Thomas Jefferson University. Also, the orthopaedic residents at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital have recognized Dr. Good as an “Outstanding Teacher and Role Model”. He is past president of the Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society; has served as one of the team physicians for Villanova University since 1980; and has been recognized many times by Philadelphia Magazine as one of the area’s “Top Doctors”. His area of expertise is in reconstructive surgery of the hip and knee.
EducationB.S., Juniata College
M.D., Jefferson Medical College
Internship, General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Residency, General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Hospital
Titles & CertificationsBoard Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson Medical College, Philadephia, PA
Team Physician, Villanova University, Villanova, PA
Professional AssociationsMontgomery County Medical Society
Jefferson Orthopaedic Society, Past President
Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society, Past President
American College of Surgeons
Pennsylvania Medical Society
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
Eastern Orthopaedic Association
Philadelphia Rheumatism Society
American Association of Arthritis, Hip and Knee Surgeons
Arthroscopy Association of North America
Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers Society, Honorary Member
Hospital AffiliationsBryn Mawr Hospital
Physicians Care Surgical Hospital at Limerick
Main Line Surgical Center
· 1976 Good, R.P.: Cervical Spine Injuries from Water Sports Accidents. Orthopaedic Seminars of University of Southern California, Vol. 9
· 1977 Good, R.P.: Cervical Spine Injuries Resulting From Water Sports, an Epidemiologic Review. Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol. VI, pp 41-47
· 1978 Markmann, W.K., Good, R.P., Hamilton, W.C., Cotler, J.M.: Pins and External Methylmethacrylatean Alternative. Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol. VII, pp 74-79
· 1980 Good, R.P., Nickel, V.L.: Cervical Spine Injuries Resulting From Water Sports., Spine, Vol. 5, #6, pp 502-506
· 1980 Pontarelli, W.R., Good, R.P.: Silastic Implant Arthroplasty for the Treatment of Painful Bunion., The Bryn Mawr Hospital Bulletin, Vol. 2, pp 13-15
· 1984 Miller, L.S., Donahue, J.R., Good, R.P., Staerk, A.J.: The Magnuson-Stack Procedure for the Treatment of Recurrent Glenohumeral-Dislocations. American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol12, pp 133-137.
· 1984 Good, R.P., Hamilton, W.C.: Malleolar Injuries: Aftercare, Prognosis and Complications. Traumatic Disorders of the Ankle. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, pp 213-226
· 1984 Good, R.P.: Arthrodesis and Arthroplasty. Traumatic Disorders of the Ankle. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, pp 255-268
· 1987 Good, R.P., Snedden, H.E., O’Donnell, C.S.: Closed Rupture of the Achilles Tendon. Orthopaedic Consultation, Vol. 8, pp 8-12
· 1989 Cherry, K.L., Emper, W.D., Good, R.P.: Accuracy of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Disorders of the Knee. Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol. XVIII, pp 32-36
· 1994 Craft, D.V., Good, R.P.: Delayed Hypersensitivity Reaction of the Knee After Injection of Arthroscopy Portals with Bupivacaine (Marcaine). Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol. 21, pp 34-37
· 1994 Craft, D.V., Good, R.P.: Delayed Hypersensitivity Reaction of the Knee After Injection of Arthroscopy Portals with Bupivacaine (Marcaine). Arthroscopy, Vol. 10, pp 305-308
· 1996 Good, R.P., Snedden, M.H., Lomax, L.: Osteonecrosis of the Knee. The Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp 11-12
· 2007 Good, Robert P., M.D.: Effects of a Preoperative Femoral Nerve Block on Pain Management and Rehabilitation After Total Knee Arthroplasty. The American Journal of Orthopaedics, October 2007, 36(10):554-557.
· 2012 Timothy M. DiIorio, M.D., Justin D. Burkholder, BS, Robert P. Good, M.D., Javad Parvizi, M.D., Peter F. Sharkey, M.D.: Platelet-rich Plasma Does Not Reduce Blood Loss or Pain or Improve Range of Motion After TKA. Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research, January, 2012, Vol. 470, pp 138-143.
· 2012 Smith, E.B, Wynne, R., Joshi, A., Liu, H., Good, R.P.: Is It Time to Include Vancomycin for Routine Perioperative Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Total Joint Arthroplasty Patients? Journal Arthroplasty, September, 2012, pp 55-60.
· 2014 Gallagher, B., Tjoumakaris, F., Harwood, M., Good, R.P., Ciccotti, M.G., Freedman, K.B. Chondroprotection and Prevention of Osteoarthritis Progression of the Knee: A Systematic Review of Treatment Agents. American Journal of Sports Medicine, April, 2014.
1. Gallagher, B., Tjoumakaris, F., Harwood, M., Good, R.P., Ciccotti, M.G., Freedman, K.B. “Chondroprotection and Prevention of Osteoarthritis Progression of the Knee: A Systematic Review of Treatment Agents.” Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society, April, 2014.
1. Chapter 78 Restarting Medication Post TJA. Corey Clyde, Robert P. Good.
2. Cemented Total Knee – Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery 2e – in prep.
3. Bearing Surface Options THR – OP Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery 2e – in prep.
1. The Effect of Tranexamic Acid on Blood Loss in Patients with Hip Fractures.
2. Exparel vs. On Q for Management of Post-Op Pain in TJA.
- Thursday, 09 May 2013We celebrated the opening of our new Bryn Mawr office with our staff and closest friends.