William Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Dr. Kirkpatrick is a board certified orthopaedic and hand surgeon. After completing his undergraduate education at Harvard University, he attended the University of Cincinnati School of Medicine for medical school, graduating in 1982.
After training in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School, he completed additional training in hand and upper extremity surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Since 1988 Dr. Kirkpatrick has been practicing hand surgery in the Greater Philadelphia and Bryn Mawr area. Dr. Kirkpatrick serves as a Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Jefferson Medical College. He has a focused practice in the treatment of the hand and upper extremity and has been recognized in Philadelphia Magazine and in the Main Line Today Magazine as one of the area’s “Top Doctors” in hand surgery.
Make an Appointment
- B.A., Harvard University
- M.D., University of Cincinnati School of Medicine
- Internship, General Surgery, Mercy Hospital
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Fellowship, Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University
Titles & Certifications
- Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Added Qualification in Surgery of the Hand
- Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Philadelphia Hand Club
- Jefferson Hand Club
- Jefferson Orthopaedic Society
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Fellow in American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS)
- Active Member of American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- Harvard University admissions interviews
- Bryn Mawr Hospital
1. "Osteotomy of the Scapula for the Management of Sprengel's Deformity"
D. Mears, M.D., J. Imbriglia, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.,
Ortho Trans. 11: 239, 1987
2. "Hand Replantation"
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D. - Trends in Trauma, Audio cassette, March 1989
3. "Extensor Tendon Reconstruction in Rheumatoid Arthritis"
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D., Symposium on Surgery and Rehabilitation of the Hand
Audio cassette, March 1989
4. "DeQuervain's Stenosing Tenosynovitis"
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D., in Rehabilitation of the Hand,
Third Edition, Chapter 21 (ed. J. Hunter, M.D.)
5. "Acute Extensor Tendon Injuries"
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D. Symposium on Surgery and Rehabilitation of the Hand
Audio cassette, March 1990
6. “Distal Radioulnar Joint Disorders- A Classification and Clinical Review” (abstract),
R. Nathan, M.D., L. Schneider, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
AAOS Annual Meeting, Boston MA, June 1990
7. "Osteotomy of the Scapula for the Management of Sprengel's Deformity"
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D., R. Gordon, M.D., D. Mears, M.D.
Orthopaedic Consultations 12 (5):9-12, May 1991
8. "Dacron Collateral Ligament Reconstruction with PIP Joint Arthroplasty"
J. Hunter, M.D.; A. Sattel, M.D.; W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Seminars in Arthroplasty 2 (2):148-152, April 1991
9. "Dacron Stabilization of the Distal Ulna"
J. Hunter, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Hand Clinics 7 (2):365-371, May 1991
10. "Continuous Wrist Block: A Technique for Control of Vasospasm after Digital Replantation"
J. Taras, M.D.; M. Behrman, M.D.; W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal Vol XX:84-87, 1991
11. "Metastatic Renal Carcinoma in the Hand: Treatment with Preoperative Irradiation and Ray Resection"
R. Kobus, M.D.; C. Leinberry, M.D.; W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Orthopaedic Review Vol. XXI (8):983-995, August 1992
12. "The Superficialis Finger: Results and Indications in Flexor Tendon Surgery"
J. Hunter, M.D., R. Kobus, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.,
Ortho Trans. 16: 351, 1993
13. "Scaphoid Excision and Capitolunate Arthrodesis for Radioscaphoid Arthritis"
D. Kirschenbaum, M.D., L. Schneider, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Journal of Hand Surgery, 18A (5):780-785, September 1993
14. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics, Guest Editor "Tendon Surgery of
the Hand", W.B. Saunders Co., October 1993
15. "The Superficialis Finger Procedure",
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D., R. Kobus, M.D.
Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics, 3 (4):303-305; W.B. Saunders Co., October 1993
16. “Polymethyl methacrylate Spacers in the Staged Treatment of Traumatic and Infectious Bone Loss in the Hand”
J.P. Lisser, M.D., W.H. Kirkpatrick, M.D., R.W. Culp, M.D., L.H. Schneider, M.D.
Ortho Trans. 18 (1): 160-161, 1994
17. "Tetracycline Labeling for Excision of Osteoid Osteoma in the Distal Radius"
N. Abidi, M.D.; W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.;
The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol XXIV:52-55, 1995
18. "Complications Associated with Injuries to the Distal Upper Extremity"(Chapter 4),
J. Taras, M.D., R. Culp, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D. and J. Hunter, M.D.
in Complications in Pediatric-Orthopaedic Surgery (ed. C. Epps, Jr., M.D. and J. R. Bowen, M.D.) pub. J.B. Lippincott Co., 1995
19. "The Superficialis Finger: An Alternative in Flexor Tendon Surgery"
in Rehabilitation of the Hand, (ed. J. Hunter, M.D., et al),
R. Kobus, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.; Mosby, 1995
20. "Soft Tissue Conditions: Trigger Fingers and DeQuervain's Disease”
in Rehabilitation of the Hand: Surgery and Therapy;
4th Edition;(ed. J. Hunter, M.D. et al), W. Kirkpatrick, M.D., S. Lisser, M.D.; Mosby, 1995
21. "Early Motion after Arthroplasty"
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D., S. Kozin, M.D., R. Uhl, M.D.,
“Early Motion in the Hand and Wrist”
Hand Clinics 12 (1):73-86, February 1996
22. “Late Reduction of a Volar Lunate Dislocation”
L. Weiss, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol XXVI:132-135, 1997
23. “Forearm Abscess presenting as a Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma Five Years Following wrist External Fixation”
J. Abboudi, M.D., W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, Vol XXVII:26-28, 1998
24. “Intersection Syndrome”
W. Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Atlas of the Hand Clinics on “Tenosynovitis/Tendonitis” (ed. D. Zelouf) 4:1, March 1999