Brian S. Winters, M.D.
Dr. Winters is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon that specializes in all areas of foot & ankle surgery, with an emphasis on total ankle replacement, ligament and tendon repair/reconstruction, sports related injuries, minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques, deformity correction and reconstructive surgery related to cartilage injury, avascular necrosis, arthritis, neurologic conditions, trauma, and acute lower extremity fracture care.
After receiving his bachelor’s degree at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ, where he pitched for the Scarlet Knights nationally ranked varsity baseball team and graduated with Honors, he stayed in New Brunswick to complete two years of dedicated research at Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He later went on to complete his medical education there and was inducted in to the Alpha Omega Alpha-National Medical and Gold Humanism Honor Societies. He subsequently completed his orthopaedic surgery residency and orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery fellowship at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.
Dr. Winters has received multiple awards for his academic excellence, clinical achievement, and leadership. He is an assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia and is very active in research, which has resulted in numerous publications and book chapters.
- MD UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Intern in General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Fellowship, Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Research Associate, Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Sciences, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Board Certified
- AtlantiCare Surgery Center
- AtlantiCare Mainland Hospital
- Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Publications, peer reviewed:
1. Raikin, S.M., Winters, B.S., Daniel, J.N. The RAM Classification: A Novel, Systematic Approach to the Adult Acquired Flatfoot. Foot & Ankle Clinics. 2012 June; 17(2); 169-81.
2. Winters, B.S., Solarz M., Jacovides C., Purtill, J.J., Rothman R.H., Parvizi J. Over-diagnosis of Pulmonary Embolus: Evaluation of a Hypoxia Algorithm Designed to Avoid this Catastrophic Problem. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2012 February; 470(2):497-502.
3. Winters, B.S., Mohan-Raj B., Robinson, E.E., Foty R.A., Corbett, S.A. Three-dimensional Culture Regulates Raf-1 Expression to Modulate Fibronectin Matrix Assembly. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 2006 Aug; 17(8): 3386-3396.
4. Winters, B.S., Shepard S.R., and Foty, R.A. Biophysical measurement of brain tumor cohesion. International Journal of Cancer. 2005 April 10; 114(3): 371-379.
1. David I. Pedowitz and Brian S. Winters. Hallux Valgus. Primary Care Orthopaedics 2nd edition edited by Paul Lotke, Joseph Abboud, and Jack Ende. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, 2013.
Posters and Presentations:
1. Ponzio D., Pedowitz D., Verma K., Malenfort M., Winters B., Raikin S. Does Postoperative Bunion Taping Maintain Hallux Valgus Correction? Podium Presentation at the 2014 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
2. Winters, B.S. Thomas Jefferson University, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus: From Harvest of Implantation. March 2013.
3. Raikin, S.M., Winters, B.S., Daniel, J.N. The RAM Classification: A Novel, Systematic Approach to the Adult Acquired Flatfoot. Poster presentation at the 2012 American Academy of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Summer Meeting, San Diego, CA.
4. Shah S.A., Winters, B.S., Curry, E.P., Yorgava, P., Neiss, G., Hilibrand, A.S., Harms Study Group. Cervical Contour Decompensation Before and After Posterior Surgery for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Podium presentation at the 2011 46th Scoliosis Research Society Annual Meeting, Louisville, KY & Poster presentation at the 2012 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
5. Stoddard D., Holena D., Martin, N., Winters, BS, Casey J., Pascual J., Sims C., Sarani B. Preoperative Stabilization of Closed Midshaft Femur Fractures: Do Traction Pins Reduce Transfusion Requirements Compared to Noninvasive Stabilization Methods? Poster presentation at the 2011 24th Annual Scientific Assembly of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Naples, FL.
6. Winters, B.S., Solarz M., Jacovides C., Austin M., Purtill, J.J., Parvizi, J., Overdiagnosis of Pulmonary Embolus: How to Avoid a Potentially Catastrophic Problem? Podium Presentation at the 2010 Annual Hip Society Meeting. Chicago, IL & Poster Presentation at the 2011 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
7. Winters, B.S., Robinson, E.E., Mohan-Raj B., Foty R.A., Corbett S.A. Three-dimensional culture regulates Raf-1 expression to modulate fibronectin matrix assembly. Poster presentation at the 2005 45th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cell Biology. San Francisco, CA.
8. Winters, Robinson E.E., Mohan-Raj, B., Foty, R.A., Corbett S.A. Three-dimensional culture modulates a5b1 integrin activity by regulating the expression of Raf-1. Podium presentation at the 2005 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for University Surgeons. Nashville, TN.
9. Winters, B.S., Shepard S.R., and Foty, R.A. Biophysical measurement of brain tumor cohesion. Poster presentation at the 2004 95th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, Orlando, FL.
10. Winters, B.S., Shepard S.R., and Foty, R.A. N-Cadherin and malignant astrocytoma invasion. Poster presentation at the 2003 8th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology, Keystone, Colorado.
11. Winters, B.S., Shepard S.R., Irgon J., and Foty, R.A. Measurement of the cohesivity of brain tumor spheroids by tissue surface tensiometry. Poster presentation at the 2003 Annual Retreat on Cancer Research in New Jersey, Princeton, New Jersey.