Eric Levicoff, M.D.
He then returned home to complete his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and while there was named “Most Outstanding Resident” by his peers and mentors. Following his residency training, he spent one year as a fellow at the renowned Scripps Clinic in San Diego, California, learning the most current techniques in joint replacement and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Levicoff is an expert in hip and knee reconstructive surgery, and also has a strong background in the management of both acute and chronic orthopaedic injuries.
- B.A., Northwestern University
- M.D. , Jefferson Medical College
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Fellowship, Adult Lower Extremity Reconstruction, Scripps Clinic
- Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson Medical College
- Bryn Mawr Hospital
- Physicians Care Surgical Hospital at Limerick
Original Publications and Book Chapters
- Tuason D, Hohl JB, Levicoff E, Ward WT. Urban pediatric orthopaedic surgical practice audit: implications for the future of this subspecialty. JBJS-Am. 2009 Dec; 91(12): 2992-8.
- Levicoff E, Kim J, Sobajima S, Wallach C, Larson J, Robbins P, Xiao X, Li J, Vadala G, Gilbertson L, Kang J. Safety Assessment of Intradiscal Gene Therapy II: Effect of Dosing and Vector Choice. Spine. 2008 Jun 15; 33(14): 1509-16.
- Vadala G, Sowa GA, Smith L, Hubert MG, Levicoff E, Denaro V, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Regulation of transgene expression using an inducible system for improved safety of intervertebral disc gene therapy. Spine. 2007 Jun 1; 32(13): 1381-7.
- Ferretti M, Levicoff EA, Macpherson TA, Moreland MS, Cohen M, Fu FH. The fetal anterior cruciate ligament: an anatomic and histologic study. Arthroscopy. 2007 Mar; 23(3): 278-83.
- Larson JW 3rd, Levicoff EA, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Biologic modification of animal models of intervertebral disc degeneration. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Apr; 88 Suppl 2: 83-7.
- Levicoff EA, Larson JW 3rd, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Intervertebral Disc Repair. In Spivak JM, Connolly PJ, eds. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Spine 3. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: 2006; 479-485.
- Levicoff EA, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Gene therapy for disc repair. Spine J. 2005 Nov-Dec; 5 (6 Suppl):287S-296S.
- Kwon B, Levicoff E, Vaccaro A. Surgical Management of Low Back Pain. In Vaccaro A ed. Core Knowledge in Orthopaedics: Spine. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby: 2005; 98-115.
- Levicoff EA, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Gene therapy to prevent or treat disc degeneration: is this the future? Spineline. 2005 Mar-Apr; VI(2): 10-16.
- Studer RK, Levicoff E, Georgescu H, Miller L, Jaffurs D, Evans CH. Nitric oxide inhibits chondrocyte response to IGF-I: inhibition of IGF-IRbeta tyrosine phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000 Oct; 279(4): C961-9.
Published Abstracts and Presentations
- Levicoff E, Ezzet K. Have large femoral heads solved the problem of dislocation after revision total hip arthroplasty? AAOS 2012 poster presentation. San Francisco, CA, Feb 7-11, 2012.
- Levicoff E, Fedorka C, Crossett L, Klatt B. Patella baja following TKA revision. AAOS 2010 podium presentation. New Orleans, LA, March 10-13, 2010.
- Ferretti M, Levicoff EA, Macpherson TA, Zelle BA, Moreland MS, Fu FH. The two bundles of the anterior cruciate ligament: anatomical and histological study in human fetuses. 12th Biennial Meeting of the European Society of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA). Innsbruck, Austria, May 24-27, 2006.
- Ferretti M, Levicoff EA, Macpherson TA, Zelle BA, Moreland MS, Fu FH. Anterior cruciate ligament of the human fetus: an anatomical and histological investigation. 25th Annual Meeting of the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA). Hollywood, FL, May 18-21, 2006.
- Levicoff EA, Ferretti M, Macpherson TA, Zelle BA, Moreland MS, Fu FH. An anatomical and histological evaluation of the developing ACL in the fetus. Poster presentation at the 52nd Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL March 18-22, 2006.
- Levicoff EA, Smith L, Carlin DE, Shimer AL, Georgescu HI, Larson JW, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Effect of Therapeutic Gene Transfer on the Viability of Nutritionally Deprived Nucleus Pulposus Cells. Poster presentation at the 33rd Annual Meeting of the Cervical Spine Research Society (CSRS). San Diego, CA Dec 1-3, 2005.
- Levicoff EA, Smith L, Carlin DE, Shimer AL, Georgescu HI, Larson JW, Gilbertson LG, Kang JD. Effect of Therapeutic Gene Transfer on the Viability of Nucleus Pulposus Cells in a Nutritionally Constrained Environment. Poster presentation at the 32nd Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine (ISSLS). New York, NY May 10-14, 2005.