Steven A. Caruso, M.D., M.Eng.
Dr. Caruso authored many peer reviewed articles and textbook chapters, most in the field of orthopaedic biomechanics. He believes that "form equals function." His surgical goal is to restore patient anatomy which translates to better function long-term.
- Undergraduate: The Cooper Union School of Engineering, New York, New York
- Master of Engineering: The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art Albert Nerken School of Engineering New York, NY
- Medical: New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York
- General Surgery Internship: UMDNJ – New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
- Orthopaedic Fellowship: Grant Medical Center – Trauma, Columbus, Ohio
- New Jersey Surgery Center, Mercerville, New Jersey
- Capital Health System, Hopewell, New Jersey
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Hamilton, New Jersey
- St. Francis Medical Center, Trenton, New Jersey
- St. Mary Medical Center, Langhorne, Pennsylvania
- American Association of Orthopaedic Surgery – Candidate
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association – Candidate
- New Jersey Medical Society
- Mercer County Medical Society
• Capo JT, Liporace F, Ng D, Caruso S. “Bilateral comminuted radial shaft fractures from a single gunshot: fixation with alternative techniques.” Am J Orthop. 2009 Apr;38(4):194-8
• Caruso SA, Sheskier SC, Okereke E, Nguyen D. “Use of the KT-1000 as a Method for Determining Ankle Laxity”. Submitted for publication in Foot & Ankle.
• Klein DM, Ghany N, Urban W, Caruso SA. “Distal Biceps Tendon Repair: Anchor Versus Transosseous Fixation”. Am J Orthop. 2007 Jan; 36(1):34-7.
• Kubeck J, Brkaric M, Mathur S, Shanti N, Paulino C, Caruso SA, Merola AA. “End Organ Effects of High Dose Human Equivalent Methylprednisolone in a Spinal Cord Injury Rat Model”. Spine. 2006 Feb 1;31(3):257-61.
• Liporace FA, Bono CM, Caruso SA, Weiner B, Penny K, Feldman AJ, Grossman MG, Haher TR. “The Mechanical Effects of Suture Anchor Insertion Angle for Rotator Cuff Repair”. Orthopaedics. 2002 Apr;25(4):399-402.
• Haher TR, Yeung AW, Ottaviano DM, Merola AA, Caruso SA. “The Inverse Effects of Load Transfer and Load Sharing on Axial Compressive Stiffness”. Spine J. 2001 Sept-Oct; 1(5):324-9; discussion 330.
• Haher TR, Yeung AW, Caruso SA, Merola AA, Shin T, Zipnick RI, Gorup JM, Bono C. Occipital Screw Pullout Strength: “A Biomechanical Investigation of Occipital Morphology”. Spine 1999 Jan 1; 24(1): 5-9.
• Margulies JY, Caruso SA, Chatter-Cora D, Gorup JM, Puri R, Thampi SP, Haher TR. “Substitution of Transpedicular Screws by Hook Claws in a Vertebrectomy Model”. J Spinal Disord 1998 Feb; 11(1): 36-40.
• Margulies JY, Casar RS, Caruso SA, Neuwirth MG and Haher TR. “The Mechancial Role of Laminar Hook Protection of Pedicle Screws at the Caudal End Vertebra”. Eur Spine J. 1997; 6(4): 245-248.
• Zipnick RI, Merola AA, Gorup J, Kunkle K, Shin T, Caruso SA, and Haher TR. “Occipital Morphology: An Anatomic Guide to Internal Fixation”. Spine 1996 Aug 1; 21(15):1719-1724; discussion 1729-30.
• Haher TR, Valdevit T and Caruso SA. “Spinal Biomechanics” in Spine: Orthopaedic Surgery Essentials. 2004, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
• Haher TR, Valdevit T and Caruso SA. “Outcomes Research in Spinal Deformity: Update” in Seminar in Spinal Surgery. 2004, Lippincott Williams & Williams.
• Haher TR and Caruso SA: “Biomechanics” in Spinal Deformities: The Comprehensive Text. Edited by DeWald R. 2003, Thieme
• Cerabona FP, Caruso SA, Merola AA, Bono CM, and Haher TR: “Biomechanics of the Anterior Column” in SPINE: State of the Art Reviews – Anterior Column Surgery, Vol. 12, No. 3, Philadelphia, September 1998, Hanley & Belfus
• Haher TR, Merola AA, Caruso SA and Paskoff R: “Implants: Modes of Failure” in Revision Spine Surgery - edited by Margulies, St. Louis, Mosby Yearbook 1999
• Caruso SA, Margulies JY, Haher TR, Gorup J, Merola AA, Zipnick RI, and Floman Y: “Instrumented Fusions of the Lumbosacral Spine: A Technical Overview” in Operative Management of the Lumbosacral Junction, Philadelphia, 1996, J.B. Lippencott
• Zipnick RI, Caruso SA, Haher TR, Merola AA, Gorup JM, Kunkle K, and Shin T: “The Occiput: Anatomic Considerations for Internal Fixation” in SPINE: State of the Art Reviews - Spinal Biomechanics I – (10)02, Philadelphia, May 1996, Hanley & Belfus
• Orchowski J, Haher TR, Caruso SA, Gorup JM, Merola AA, Zipnick RI, and Tzavelis C: “The Use of Finite Element Analysis in Orthopaedic Surgery” in SPINE: State of the Art Reviews - Spinal Biomechanics I - 10(2), Philadelphia, May 1996, Hanley & Belfus
• Caruso SA, Margulies JY, Gorup JM, Haher TR, Casar RS, Neuwirth MG, and Kummer FJ: “Mechanical Characterization of Spinal Fusion Implant Assemblies Using a Vertebrectomy Model” in SPINE: State of the Art Reviews - Spinal Biomechanics II – 10(3), Philadelphia, September 1996, Hanley & Belfus
• Haher TR, Merola AA, Caruso SA, and Shin,T: “The Lumbosacral Junction: Investigative Methods and Testing Techniques” in SPINE: State of the Art Reviews - Biomechanics of the Lumbosacral Spine – (10)4, Philadelphia, December 1996, Hanley & Belfus