Sports Medicine is the medical specialty concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries due to athletic activity. Many of these disorders are treated with arthroscopic surgery, a minimally invasive surgical method that utilizes a camera to look inside a joint and specialized instruments to carry out any necessary surgery in that joint.
The practice of sports medicine is a team approach with input from orthopaedic surgeon, non-surgical sports specialists, rehabilitation specialist, athletic trainer, and physical therapist. The internationally recognized Sports Medicine Center at the Rothman Institute is one of the world’s most trusted practices for the treatment of sports related injuries. Pioneers of advanced surgical equipment and innovative surgical techniques, our specialists evaluate over 80,000 sports injuries and perform more than 10,000 sports surgeries for athletes of all levels per year.
Why the Rothman Sports Medicine Team?
Rothman Institute’s Sports Medicine team is the leading provider of sports medicine orthopaedic care in the region. Our team provides care for all levels of athletes including the Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, Philadelphia 76ers, Philadelphia Soul, USA Olympic Women’s Gymnastics Team, Villanova University, Saint Joseph’s University, Rutgers University-Camden Raptors and dozens of regional high schools as well as the Philadelphia Marathon, Distance Run, and International Cycling Race.
- Arthroscopy of the Hip, Knee, and Shoulder
- Cartilage Restoration Procedures: Microfracture, Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation, Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- Elbow Cartilage Repair
- Elbow Ligament Reconstruction
- Elbow Tendon Repair
- Knee Ligament Reconstruction – ACL Surgery
- Medical Issues of the Endurance Athlete
- Meniscal Transplantation
- Patellofemoral Joint Instability
- Reconstruction of the Knee, Shoulder, and Elbow
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty
- Sports Bracing - Orthotics
- Shoulder Instability Procedures
- Shoulder Labral Repair
- Sports Performance Training – Velocity Sports Performance
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Sports Medicine Procedures
When to Seek an Evaluation
You should see a doctor for an injury when...
- You have severe pain and cannot put any weight on the injured body part
- The area over or around the injured joint is very tender when you touch it
- The injured area looks crooked or has lumps and bumps (other than swelling) or is altered in its shape or size as compared to the opposite extremity.
- You cannot move the injured joint
- You cannot walk without feeling significant pain
- Your limb buckles or gives way when you try to use the joint
- Your have numbness in any part of the injured area
- You see redness or red streaks spreading out from the injury
- You have pain, swelling, or redness over the injured area
- You are in doubt about the seriousness of the injury or how to care for it
Of course, if you are injured during the course of a sporting event it is always best to seek the advice of your team physician.Sports Medicine is the medical specialty concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries due to athletic activity. Many of these disorders are treated with arthroscopic surgery, a minimally invasive surgical method that utilizes a camera to look inside a joint and specialized instruments to carry out any necessary surgery in that joint.
Team Coverage Program
If you are an athletic director, athletic trainer, or anyone who is tasked with finding coverage for an athletic program, team, or large scale sporting event, the Rothman Institute Sports Medicine Team can help you. Our team of physicians can provide medical coverage, clinics, and educational seminars for your athletes, coaches, and families.
Please contact Megan Mattson, Manager of Athletic Trainers, at Meghan.Mattson@rothmaninstitute.com for more information.
Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC)
Over the years Rothman Institute has really integrated Certified Athletic Trainers into its world-renowned private physician practice. If you look at the evolution of the job settings for Athletic Trainers, you will see Rothman captures both the traditional and the non-traditional setting. In the clinic Rothman Institute is utilizing AT’s distinctive skill set as physician extenders and orthotic technicians. Our Field Athletic Trainers provide direct sports medicine care to youth, high school, college and professional athletes. Rothman AT’s provide athletic training services throughout Southeastern PA and NJ to interscholastic high schools, colleges, as well as tournaments and special events.
Certified Athletic Trainers can schedule appointments for their athletes by using our ATC Appointment Form.
Sports Medicine Programs
- Our Field Athletic Trainers provide direct sports medicine care to youth, high school, college and professional athletes. Rothman AT’s provide athletic training services throughout Southeastern PA and NJ to interscholastic high schools, colleges, as well as tournaments and special events.Read More
- The Injury Prevention Program at the Rothman Institute is dedicated to the prevention of injuries from athletic participation, particularly youth sports.Read More
- This is a center where patients can go the have their disabled joint biological resurfaced, realigned, and stabilized without having the joint replaced by artificial materials such as metal and plastic. It is well known that the outcomes of patients under the age of 50 undergoing artificial joint replacement are not as good as we would like. Therefore we feel the future of Orthopaedics is to try to restore a joint back to its original anatomy by realignment, ligament reconstruction, and cartilage restoration.Read More
- The Women’s Sports Medicine Program at the Rothman Institute is the first of its kind in the Philadelphia metro area and one of only several such programs specializing in the comprehensive care of the female athlete in the country.Read More
Sports Medicine Surgeons
Sports Medicine Non-Operative Physicians
- View All
- Abington, PA
- Bensalem, PA
- Bryn Mawr, PA
- Cape May Court House, NJ
- Center City Philadelphia
- Chalfont, PA
- Doylestown, PA
- Egg Harbor Township, NJ
- Glen Mills, PA
- Hammonton, NJ
- Jefferson Comprehensive Concussion Center
- King of Prussia, PA
- Limerick, PA
- Manahawkin, NJ
- Marlton, NJ
- Media, PA
- Newtown , PA
- Newtown Square, PA
- Northeast Philadelphia
- South Philadelphia
- Washington Township, NJ
- Willow Grove, PA
- Wynnewood, PA