The Answer To Your Hip Arthritis In Bucks County
Are you experiencing pain and inflammation in your hip? At Rothman Institute, we specialize in orthopaedic surgery, technology and innovation. If you believe you are experiencing hip arthritis in Bucks County, Rothman Institute will help restore your body to the health it was designed to have.
What Is Hip Arthritis?
- Osteoarthritis: Meaning “arthritis of the bone”, is simply the wearing away of the cartilage in the joints, causing the area to be rough and painful when there is movement.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: This is a systemic disorder that is not caused by wearing of the joints and cartilage, but rather an immune system response. Rheumatoid arthritis causes swelling in the synovial lining of the joint which will cause pain, and eventually creates degeneration of the cartilage.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: This is chronic inflammation of the sacroiliac joint (the area where the spine meets the pelvis), which may sometimes cause inflammation of the hip joint. This happens in people of all ages, but primarily in men.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: An autoimmune disorder, also known simply as “lupus”, can happen anywhere in the body. If the hip is subject to lupus, there will be inflammation of the area, creating pain and damage to the joint.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: Interestingly, this form of arthritis is related to the skin condition called psoriasis. This form of arthritis causes pain, swelling and stiffness, often accompanied but not always followed by the skin disorder, psoriasis.
- Difficulty walking or walking with a limp.
- Pain that is worse in the morning, after being still for several hours and gets better with movement.
- Pain in the hip joint.
- Pain that worsens with extended activity.
- Stiffness in the hip area or a limited range of motion.
- In patients with lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, fatigue and weakness may be symptoms as well.