Start Training Now for a Successful Running Season
Warmer weather is right around the corner and with it comes the spring running season. Whether you currently run or you are an aspiring runner, it's best to start training now to ensure that you're able to cross the finish line.
"Successful runners train in advance," says Steven Cohen, MD, a sports medicine surgeon at the Rothman Institute who also serves as medical director for the Philadelphia Marathon. "Advance training not only helps runners improve their times, it also helps them avoid injury."
Dr. Cohen offers the following tips for both runners and runners to be:
- Always stretch and warm up before and after running
- If your running shoes have seen better days, buy a new pair
- Start slow and add time and distance as you get stronger
- Set a goal for yourself by signing up for a 5K or 10K
- Find a running partner or join a running group to keep you motivated
- Mix other forms of exercise into your routine, such as spinning, kickboxing or weight training
- Stay hydrated during training and during a race
"Not only will advance training give you great results come spring, it will also help you fight the winter blues," adds Cohen.