Robert W. Frederick, M.D.
Dr. Frederick is the Associate Director of Sports Medicine at The Rothman Institute, and an Assistant Professor of Orthpaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University. Previously, he was Director of Sports Medicine at Emory University in Atlanta.
During the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, he was the Director of Athlete Care for Gymnastics and also provided medical care for the Track and Field events and Marathon. In the 2004 Olympics, he served as a member of the US Olympic Medical Team caring for Men's and Women's Gymnastics, Women's Softball, Weight Lifting and Judo. His present affiliations include Assistant Team Physician for the Philadelphia Phillies, Saint Joseph's University, and the Philadelphia Flyers.
Make an Appointment
- Undergraduate Degree, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
- M.D., Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL
- Orthopaedic Residency, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University
- Fellowship, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Titles & Certifications
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Associate Director, Center for Sports Medicine, Rothman Institute
- Orthopaedic Consultant, U.S. Women’s Olympic Gymnastics Team
- Assistant Team Physician, Philadelphia Phillies and St. Joseph’s University
- Assistant Team Physician, Philadelphia Flyers
- Former Assistant Team Physician – Boston Bruins, New England Patriots
- Director of Athlete Care – Gymnastics, 1996 Olympic Games, Atlanta, GA
- USA Team Physician – 2004 Olympic Games, Athens, Greece
- Board Ceritified, Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
- Riddle Memorial Hospital
- Nazareth Hospital
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Lankenau Hospital
- Methodist Hospital
- Virtua Health System
- Rothman Specialty Hospital
- Cohen, Maimon, M., MD; Frederick, Robert W., Balkin, Nancy, C. and Simpson, Stacy J.: The Identification of Y Chromosome Translocations Following Dystamycin A Treatment, Clinical Genetics, 19:335-342.
- Knepper, Paul A., MD; Collins, Jennifer A., PhD and Frederick, Robert W.: The Effect of Dexamethasone, Hydroxmethyl-Progesterone and MethyTestosterone on Intraocular Pressure and Glycosminoglycans Synthesis in the Rabbit Eye. Investigative Ophthalmology and the Visual Sciences, 26:1093-1100.
- Frederick, Robert W.; Toft, J.; Zarins, B.: ACL Replacement Using Autograft-Different Techniques and Decision Making. In Zarins, B.; Cugat, R. - editors; Arthroscopy and Arthroscopic Surgery: Principles and Techniques. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Seiler, J.G.; Valadie, A.L.; Drvaric, D.M.; Frederick, R.W.; Whitesides, T.E.: Perioperative Compartmental Syndromes. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 78A: 600-602.
- Reddy, Ashok S.; Frederick, R.W.: Evaluation of theIntraosseous and Extraosseous Blood Supply to the Distal Femoral Condyles. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 26: 415-419.
- Lang, C.J.; Frederick, R.W.: A Biomechanical Study of the Ankle Syndesmosis After Fibular Graft Harvest. Journal Spinal Disorders. 11: 508-513.
- Publications in Process
- Tarsal Navicular Tuberosity Fractures in Hockey Players. To be submitted to American Journal of Sports Medicine.
- Stevenson, S.; Frederick, R.W., Zart, D.J.; Li, X.G.; Bensusan, J.; Davy, D.; Klein, L. And Goldberg, V.M.: The Interaction and Effects of Freezing and Histocompatibility on the Incorporation of Allogenic Cortical Grafts in Rats. Orthopaedic Research Society, 35th Annual Meeting, February 6-9.
- Stevenson, S.; Frederick, R.W.; Li, X.Q.; Zart, D.J.; Bensusan, J.; Davy, D.; Klein, L. And Goldberg, V.M.: Together the Host Bed and the Properties of the Graft Determine the Outcome of Graft Incorporation. Orthopaedic Research Society, 35th Annual Meeting, February 6-9.
- Wertheim, S.; Gillespie, S.; Klaus, R.; Frederick, R.W.: Role of Proplyatic Antibiotics in Arthroscopic Knee Surgery. Presented at the 60th AAOS Meeting, San Francisco, CA, February.
- Wertheim, S.; Gillespie, S.; Klaus, R.; Frederick, R.W.: Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Treatment of Acute Knee Injuries. Presented at the 61st AAOS Meeting, New Orleans, LA, February.
- Emory University
- School of Medicine
- Orthropaedic Resident
- Sports Medicine Lectures
- 9/93 Proximal Humerus Fractures
- 12/93 History of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
- 3/94 Knee Dislocations - The Treatment Algorithm
- 5/94 Osteochondral Lesions
- 10/94 The Biology of Muscle Injuries
- 12/94 Tibial Plateau Fractures - The Sports Perspective
- 2/95 Traumatic Shoulder Injuries/Fractures
- 3/95 Rotator Cuff Pathology/Instability
- 5/95 ACL/PCL Injuries
- 6/95 Meniscal Pathology, Diagnosis and Treatment
- 8/95 Ankle and Foot Injuries in the Sports Patient
- Crawford Long Hospital Operating Room Nursing Staff Inservice - Knee Injuries – Diagnosis and Treatment. May 11, 1994
- Emergency Medicine Department Grand Rounds at Grady Memorial Hospital - Professional Athletes - A Year of Injuries. June 16, 1994
- Egleston Children’s Hospital 1994 Sports Medicine Conference - On The Field Injury Evaluation. July 23, 1994
- The American Orthopaedic Association 27th Annual Residents Conference (Lecture)The Future of Healthcare - Moderator Sports Medicine Session March 23-26, 1994
- Emory University, Department of Orthopaedics Grand Rounds The Olympics from a Sports Medicine Perspective 10/8/96
- Gwinnett County Football Association Sports Medicine Workshop - Sports Injuries in Football; What To Look For, How To Evaluate & Treat. August 9, 1997
- Orthopaedics For The Primary Care Physician: Evaluation & Treatment of Common Knee Injuries. Piedmont Hospital (Atlanta, GA). September 20, 1997
- Emory University, Department of Rheumatology Grand Rounds;
- Common Sports Injuries 4/16/97
- Knee and Shoulder Injuries 6/17/98
- Treatment of Knee Osteochondral Injuries 7/7/99
- Atlanta Shoulder Conference (Quarterly) - Co-Director with Dr. Xavier Duralde.
- Orthopaedics for the Primary Care Physician, Emory University School of Medicine: Common Knee Injuries , Evaluation and Treatment. February 26, 1999
- Orthopaedics for the Primary Care Physician, Emory University School of Medicine: Common Shoulder Injuries , Evaluation and Treatment. February 26, 1999
- Crucial Decisions in Total Joint Arthroplasty and Sports Medicine, Rothman Institute at Jefferson: Decision Making in Graft Selection for ACL Reconstruction. Bermuda, May 21, 1999
- Crucial Decisions in Total Joint Arthroplasty and Sports Medicine, Rothman Institute at Jefferson: Treatment of PCL and Posterolateral Corner Injuries. Bermuda, May 21, 1999
- Upper Extremity Injuries in the Athlete for the Athletic Trainer and Physical Therapist, Rothman Institute at Jefferson: Biomechanics of the Shoulder. Philadelphia, PA, August 7, 1999
- Upper Extremity Injuries in the Athlete for the Athletic Trainer and Physical Therapist, Rothman Institute at Jefferson: Examination of the Elbow. Philadelphia, PA, August 7, 1999