James J. Purtill, M.D.
Dr. Purtill is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in joint replacement and complex revision procedures. He is the author of numerous articles published in orthopaedic journals and has traveled extensively lecturing in orthopaedic topics.
Dr. Purtill is also the Orthpaedic Residency Program director at Thomas Jefferson University and the Vice Chairman of the Department. He is on the Board of Directors of OMEGA medical grants, on the editorial board of the Journal of Arthroplasty and a member of the executive committee of the Jefferson Medical College alumni association.
Make an Appointment
Lisa Campenella, PA-C
Lisa is a Certified Physician Assistant and graduated from the Hahnemann Physician Assistant Program at Drexel University. She also received a Master of Science degree in Exercise and Sport Science from the University of Florida as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Athletic Training from Slippery Rock University. Prior to becoming a physician assistant, Lisa worked as a certified athletic trainer at the University of Pennsylvania before joining the Rothman Institute as an orthopedic research assistant. Lisa now works as a physician assistant with Dr. James Purtill specializing in joint replacement surgery.
- B.A., University Of Pennsylvania
- M.D., Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Fellowship, Adult Reconstruction/Sports Medicine, Rothman Institute/Thomas Jefferson University
Titles & Certifications
- Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
- Philadelphia County Medical Society
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Peak EL, Parvizi J, Ciminiello M, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH. The Role of Patient Restrictions in Reducing the Prevalence of Early Dislocation following Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg 87-A(2) 247-253, 2005.
- Parvizi J, Rapuri VR, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Rothman RH, Hozack, WJ. Treatment Protocol for Proximal Femoral Periprosthetic Fractures. J Bone Joint Surg, 86A: 8-16, 2004
- Klein GR, Purtill, JJ. Hip Arthroscopy: Indications and Techniques. Seminars in Arthroplasty, 2004.
- Parvizi J, Wickstrom E, Zeiger AR, Adams CS, Shapiro IM, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH, Hickok, NJ. Frank Stinchfield Award. Titanium Surface with Biologic Activity against Infection. Clin Orthop Rel Research 429:33-38, 2004.
- Rothman RH, Hozack WJ, Sharkey PF, Purtill JJ, Parviz J: Treatment Protocol for Periprosthetic Fractures Around the Hip. Accepted by J Bone Joint Surg, Nov 2004.
- Hayashida M, Alterman A, McLellan A, O’Brien C, Purtill J, Volpicelli J, Raphaelson A, Hall C. Comparative Effectiveness and Costs of Inpatient and Outpatient Detoxification of Patients with Mild-to-Moderate Alcohol Withdrawl Syndrome. NEJM 320(6):358-365, 1989.
- Alterman A, Hall J, Purtill J, Searles J, Holahan J. Heavy Drinking and its Correlates in Young Men. Add. Beh. 15(1):95-103, 1990
- Searles J, Alterman A, Purtill J. The Detection of Alcoholism in Hospitalized Schizophrenics. Alcoholism 14(4):557-60, 1990
- Albert T, Purtill J, Mesa J, McIntosh T, Balderston R. Health Outcome Assessment Before and After Adult Deformity Surgery. A Prospective Study. Spine 20(18):2002-4, 1995
- Purtill J, Eng K, Rothman R, Hozack W. Heterotopic Ossification. Incidence in Cemented Versus Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty. J. Arthroplasty 11(1):58-63, 1996
- Purtill JJ, Rothman RH, Hozack WJ, Sharkey PF: Total Hip Arthroplasty Using Two Different Cementless Tapered Stems. Clin Orthop Rel Research 393:121-127, 2001
- Purtill JJ, Hickok, NJ, Marcolongo, M, Tuan RS: Biological Fixation in Hip Replacement. Chapter in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Chapter 5. Pages 137-176, 2002. Marcel Dekker, Inc. .
- Alterman A, Hall J, Purtill J, Searles J. Evidence for Heavy Alcohol Use in a Substantial Proportion of College Men. 1988 Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific Conference
- Searles J, Purtill J, Alterman A. The Psychometric Detection of Alcohol Abuse in Hospitalized Schizophrenics. 1988 Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific Conference.
- Albert T, McIntosh T, Purtill J, Balderston R. Health Outcome Assessment Before and After Adult Scoliosis Surgery: A Prospective Study. Eastern Orthopedic Association Meeting. Oct. 1994, Bermuda
- Purtill J, Eng K, Rothman R, Hozack W. Heterotopic Ossification: Incidence in Cemented Versus Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty. . Eastern Orthopedic Association Meeting. Oct. 1994, Bermuda
- Balderston RA, Albert TJ, Purtill JJ, McIntosh. Health Outcomes Assessment Before and After Adult Scoliosis Surgery: A Prospective Study. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery 1995 Annual meeting.
- Purtill J, Kruse R. Segmental Instrumentation and Posterior Spinal Fusion for Adolescent Idiopathic Lumbar Scoliosis: Curve Correction and Sagittal Alignment. Eastern Orthopedic Association Meeting. Oct. 1998, Puerto Rico.
- Becker C, Ciccotti M, Purtill J. The Effect of Knee Flexion on Femoral Tunnel Placement in Anterior Cruciate Reconstruction: A Cadaveric Study. Eastern Orthopedic Association Meeting. Oct. 1998, Puerto Rico.
- Purtill, J. Knee Injuries – Patello Femoral. Lower Extremity Injuries in the Athlete for the Athletic Trainer & Physical Therapist. Philadelphia, PA August 2000
- Purtill, J. Radiographic Evaluation of Knee Injuries. Lower Extremity Injuries in the Athlete for the Athletic Trainer & Physical Therapist. Philadelphia, PA August 2000
- Purtill, J. Sports Medicine: Cartilage Tear Repair. 11th Annual Arthritis in the Prime of Life Symposium. Philadelphia, PA October 2000.
- Purtill, J., Rand, JA, Rorabeck, CH, Barrack, R, Sharkey, PF: The Patella in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Instructional Course Lecture, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, February 2001.
- Purtill, J., Rand, JA, Rorabeck, CH, Schmalzried TP, Sharkey, PF: The Patella in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Instructional Course Lecture, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, February 2002.
- Purtill, J. Clinical Aspects of Hip Disease. Jefferson Lower Extremity Imaging Symposium. Philadelphia, PA April 2002.
- Purtill J. Concepts of Locking Plating – A Trauma Symposium. Periprosthetic Fractures. Philadelphia, PA. January 11, 2003.
- Purtill J. Rehabilitation after Total Hip Replacement and Total Knee Replacement. Visiting Professor Arcadia University. April 15, 2003.
- Purtill J. Tapered Design Stems: Technique and Results. A Look to the Future in Total Hip Surgery Course, Philadelphia, PA. June 27, 2003
- Purtill J. Cementless Acetabular Fixation: Long Term Results with Porous Coated Cups. A Look to the Future in Total Hip Surgery Course, Philadelphia, PA. June 27, 2003
- Purtill J. Cementless Acetabular Components. Grand Rounds Presentation October 30, 2003.
- Purtill J. Arthritis Foundation Meeting. “Hip and Knee Replacement – What you need to know.” Philadelphia, PA November 8, 2003.
- Peak EL, Parvizi J, Ciminiello M, Purtill JJ, Sharkey, PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH. The Role of Patient Restrictions in Early Dislocation following Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Randomized, Prospective Study. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. October 31-November 2, 2003
- Hozack, WJ, Purtill J, Rapuri V, Parvizi J. Treatment Protocol for Periprostehtic Fractures Around the Hip. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. San Francisco March 2004.
- Parvizi J, Wickstrom E, Hickock NJ, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Hozack, WJ, Shapiro I, Rothman RH. The Frank Stinchfield Award – Titanium Surface with Biologic Activity Against Infection. The Hip Society and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. March 2004.
- Grochowsky JC, Sharkey PF, Purtill JJ, Hozack WJ, Siskey R, Kurtz, SM. Relationship Between Post Damage and Condylar Damage in Posterior Stabilized TKA. Poster Presentation – 50th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research 2004.
- Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Purtill JJ, Parvizi, J, Kurtz S. Effect of Wear Damage on Prevalence and Extent of Osteolysis in Failed TKA. Posterior Presentation – Orthopaedic Research Society Feb 20-23, 2005 Washington, DC.
- Purtill JJ. (1) Locking Compression Plate for Distal Femoral Fractures (2) Locking Compression Plate for Periprosthetic Fractures around a THA. Treatment Options for Difficult Fractures: A New Technology Symposium, 9/17/04, Williamsburg, VA
- Purtill JJ. (1) Surgical Exposures in Revision THA (2) Managing Hip Instability. Masters Series Revision Hip Arthroplasty Course, 10/25/04, Rosemont, IL.
- Parvizi J, Wickstrom E, Zieger AR, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Adams C, Shapiro IM, Rothman RH. Titanium Surface with Biologic Activity Against Infection. Poster Presentation. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Dallas TX, November 2004.
- Purtill JJ. Combined Orthopaedic and Vascular Injuries. Jefferson University Trauma Conference. February 9, 2005 - Philadelphia, PA
- Kolisek FR, Bonutti PM, Hozack WJ, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Zelicof SB, Ragland PS, Kester M, Mont MA. Multi-Center Study: Comparison of Standard to Minimally Invasive Total Knee Surgery. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, February 20-23, Washington, DC.